History of Cinema 2

September 28th, 2010

Lady Eve… Guy Dweeb.

Posted by therant in Uncategorized

When we first started watching Lady Eve in class, I really felt that eventually I would run into a movie I didnt like.. this is the one. Though, I found the female character and her card shark father amusing, it wasnt enough for me to like the movie in its entirety. The male lead was played by, in my opinion, a fool, an idiot of a character with no real personality. My only favorite scenes of him was when he was a walking disaster in his home towards the end of the movie. His face reminded me of “Bewitched” husband.. I think his name was Dick York. I would have to watch this movie again to give it a more thorough opinion, but for now.. I felt it was lack luster and a movie I could easily skip over if I was choosing movies to watch.

8 Responses to ' Lady Eve… Guy Dweeb. '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Lady Eve… Guy Dweeb. '.

1.    nyminded said,

on September 29th, 2010 at 12:18 am

I agree with you, this film made me especially mad because it turned Tom Joad (Henry Fonda from the Grapes of Wrath) into a fool. I get it at least I think I do he has spent along time in the jungle studying snakes yea yea yea, but come on really he can not be so dumb. I did like her character and I wonder if because of the war going on at the time was it the reason for making her father a Colonel.

2.    cjenkins said,

on October 1st, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I didnt think the film was that bad but Jean was such an annoying character. She was deceitful and selfish. Though, she showed she cared once when she saved Charles from being scammed by her dad. And speaking of Charles, your right, he was an idiot. I just dont understand how he can be fooled by the same woman sooo many freakin times.

3.    shauney said,

on October 4th, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I really get you on this. Henry Fonda’s character was such a ditz and the idea of him falling for the same girl three times just really annoyed me. It had it’s funny moments but that’s it.

4.    dquinlan said,

on October 4th, 2010 at 7:18 pm

i’d have to disagree with you, i thought the film was very entertaining. i was surprised by the how much of the humor i enjoyed from the a film that was released so long ago. but i do agree with you on the fact that the lead male character was a fool, and he did seem to have a rather faceless personality.

5.    Amy Herzog said,

on October 13th, 2010 at 11:29 am

I also had a very different reaction– I think we are so used to seeing female characters who are just placeholders, and identify with the male characters in contemporary comedies, I find it really refreshing to follow a female character that is so intelligent and complex. And I thought Fonda played the dweeb brilliantly– the pratfalls looked so natural! Certainly much of this is a question of taste, but in terms of understanding the genre, screwball comedies from this era often play the male characters for laughs (precisely the opposite of the heroic male figures in so many other genres, which might be why this character is so annoying to so many of you).

6.    robertchang89 said,

on October 23rd, 2010 at 12:38 pm

i agree that it was pretty ridiculous how they made the main character look like such a moron and the entire movie just played out on the fact henry fonda’s character was an idiot. However, I guess that was the formula for comedy in this film.

7.    maureen said,

on October 26th, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I completely agree. I found the plot to be so pointless. I didn’t notice any particular techniques or angles, which could have helped or at least added to the film. I did not enjoy their dry humor, nor did I enjoy the female protagonist’s determination to not only deceive but also to win back her love interest. He showed no intellect or personality. He ‘s gullible and lacks common sense and I have no clue as to why either of them wanted the other back, as they betrayed each other. As much as I enjoyed the female character’s wit and scheming, I felt it still portrayed a bad light on women; either we’re inferior and lack intelligence, or we’re evil and conniving. Also, I didn’t find this film comical but, instead, redundant and a total waste in every way.

8.    Find a Nerd said,

on February 10th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

lmao being a dork my self, I found this article appealing. You’d be shocked just how many internet sites never actually aim content and articles at this group. I most certainly will follow your self on twiter & fb should you have it. I might additionally be interested in guest submitting if that’s possible on your website.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

• Monthly

• Meta

• Subscribe to RSS feed
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS
    • Subscribe to Atom feed
    • Powered by WordPress; state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform.
    • Firefox - Rediscover the web
  • Spam prevention powered by Akismet